| Return to Hand-Formed Cookies
1 cup butter
3 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tbs. maple syrup
1 tbs. water
*Extra flour for rolling out dough*
1) Soften butter by letting it sit at room temp. for an hour before you begin..
2) put the sifter into the medium mixing bowl. sift in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves into the bowl. set the bowl aside.
3) put the sugar and softened butter into the large mixing bowl. Use the wooden spoon to press them against the side of the large mixing bowl, and then stir.
4) add egg, maple syrup, and water to the butter and sugar mixture. Beat the mixture until it's fluffy.
5) stir the dry ingredients into the mixture 1 cup at a time. mix well after each cup.
6) cover the bowl w/ a plate, and chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least an hour, to make the dough easier to roll out and handle.
7) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Have ungreased cookie sheets ready to use.
8) sprinkle flour onto a table or counter and spread it around evenly w/ your hands. Cover the rolling pin w/ flour to keep the dough from sticking.
9) divide the dough into 2 balls. flatten the first ball and roll it from the center to the edges. try to make the whole piece about 1/8 inch thick.
10) use cookie cutters to cut out shapes that are about the same size. Put the cookies 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets.
11) spread sheets of wax paper on a counter or table.
12) bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, until they are lightly browned on the bottom. Watch the cookies carefully. They burn easily. Use the spatula to put the baked cookies on wax paper to cool.