In the mood for something festive? Try this fantastic Pumpkin Soup! This recipe makes 4-6 servings.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- Three 15-ounce cans pumpkin (unsweetened)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, sour cream, or plain low-fat yogurt
Melt butter and olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the sage and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is completely soft, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the pumpkin and cook another 3 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper. Stir in the broth and bring the soup to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and cook 10 minutes. Stir in the cream just before serving and reheat for 4 minutes.